Children may accidentally view sites meant for adults only (such as online dating sites) when they access the Internet from a handset. To prevent this, SoftBank recommends that parents register for Web Use Restrictions service, which limits access to sites with content inappropriate for children.
SoftBank Mobile helps parents protect children from harmful sites. Parents now have more choices with Age Appropriate Web Filtering, introduced on Aug. 31, 2009. Choose from three levels of web restrictions by age, experience, or judgment.
Select from three levels of web restrictions by age, experience, or judgment. Adjust level setting as required.
Provides child safe sites for SoftBank 3G handsets. Children have access to pre-registered Yahoo! Kids content only.
Restricted Web Filtering
Relaxed Web Filtering / Relaxed Web Filtering Plus
Restricts web access to specified sites using NetStar URL classification criteria.
SoftBank Mobile automatically activates Restricted Web Filtering on all handsets sold to customers younger than 20, or to adults subscribing on behalf of users younger than 18. Restricted Web Filtering is activated on all handsets unless a parent or guardian states otherwise, or requests a different restriction level.
| ||Yahoo! Kids||Restricted Web Filtering||Relaxed Web Filtering
Relaxed Web Filtering Plus
|Target||Handset functions effectively limited to calling and messaging. Appropriate for children with little to no Net experience. Net access limited to child appropriate sites only.||Ideal for parents, who want their children to be able to use the Web, but fear for their safety. Access to illegal or socially inappropriate sites comprehensively restricted.||Appropriate for experienced Net users, who use communication sites responsibly. Adult-oriented entertainment and social networking sites are accessible.|
|Features||Access only to child safe sites||Restricted access to child inappropriate sites||Access to sites requiring experience/ judgment (e.g., gossip/celebrity sites featuring provocative photos)|
|Site Access (SNS, Blogs, BBS, etc.)||Access restricted||EMA-certified Sites*1 Only||EMA-certified Sites*1
Sites*2 taking child safety precautions
Relaxed Web Filtering Plus:In addition, certain sites*3 are accessible.
- *1 Target sites regulated by Content Evaluation and Monitoring Association (EMA)
- *2 Communication site regulated by NetSTAR's URL classification criteria; communication site classified by Level 1-3 of Safety Use for Children
- *3 Includes EMA-certified sites and certain social networking websites such as Twitter and Facebook.
Restricted Web Filtering Site Categories (excludes Yahoo! Kids)
List of inaccessible sites compiled based on standards set by NetSTAR Inc. Web Use Restrictions may block sites with the following content:
Filtering does not guarantee complete restriction to sites categorized above.
Restricted Web Filtering, Relaxed Web Filtering and Relaxed Web Filtering Plus permit EMA-certified site access.
|Category||Featured Content||Restricted Web Filtering||Relaxed Web Filtering
Relaxed Web Filtering Plus
|Unlawful||Illicit Activities, Publication/ Copyright Infringement|
|Drugs||Illicit Drug Use|
|Runaway Help, Online Dating||Online Dating, Runaway Assistance, Marriage Introductions|
|Violence, Terror||Organized Crime, Cults, Grotesque/ Shocking Material|
|Pornography||Sexual Acts, Nudity, Sex-related Business, Adult Search, Links, Fetishism, Sexually Explicit Stories|
|Illicit information||Promotion of Illegal Activities|
|Computer Crime||Cracking, Illegal Code Distribution, Phishing, Click Fraud|
|Translation, Cache||Web Translation, Search Cache, Open Proxies|
|Social Networking Sites (excluding academic domain extension: ac.jp)||Child-inappropriate or adult-oriented sites (Level 0)||*5|
|Attention Level 1-3*4|| |
|Drinking/Smoking||Drinking/Smoking & Related Products|
|Adult Entertainment||Provocative Photos, Horror Film Materials|| |
|Extremist||Extremist Rhetoric, Libelous or Slanderous Materials|| |
- *4 Permitted sites protect children from anonymous solicitation, monitor inappropriate postings, and prohibit adult entertainment advertisements. See NetSTAR corporate site (Japanese Page) for details.
- *5 Relaxed Web Filtering Plus allows access to certain sites.
After subscribing to the service, paid contents cannot be purchased unless the security code is properly entered.
By having a parent/Guardian manage the security code, it is possible to stop children from purchasing contents on their own.
(1) Compatible Handsets
SoftBank 3G Handsets (excluding iPhone and SoftBank SMARTPHONE*1)
(2) Basic Monthly Fee
- New Subscribers: Subscribe at any SoftBank Shop or SoftBank Customer Support. Subscribe via My SoftBank by PC or SoftBank handset.
- Adjusting Level Settings/Cancelations: Submit requests at a SoftBank Shop.
- *1 For iPhone and SoftBank SMARTPHONE handsets, an application which allows parents/guardians to limit which applications their children can use is provided
- *2 S! Basic Pack (Basic Monthly Fee: ¥315) subscription required to use Restricted Web Filtering, Relaxed Web Filtering, or Yahoo! Kids.