Before using SoftBank 3G outside Japan, be sure to read the important notes below and take the User's Guide with you when traveling abroad.
Each handset has a USIM card (IC chip) that contains data such as the user's mobile phone number, to which fees will be billed. Even if your handset is used by a third party, you are ultimately responsible for the fees incurred. In the event of loss or theft of your handset or USIM card, please immediately contact the SoftBank Global Call Center below and have the service suspended.
Each USIM card has a PIN code. Please set your PIN code to protect your USIM card against unauthorized usage by a third party.
Please be careful not to forget your PIN code (the default PIN code at time of purchase is “9999”). For more information on the PIN unblocking Key (PUK) code needed to release the PIN lock, please contact the SoftBank Global Call Center number shown below.
About fees while overseas
- Fees while overseas are different from those in Japan. For further details, please see Global Roaming Service Areas and Call Rates here.
- Various flat rate and discount services, and free communication allowance of your price plan/packet communication plan do not apply to Global Roaming Service.
- Communication time and duration while using your handset overseas will be measured by the local carrier. Also, please note that it will be measured by the SoftBank handset and local carrier outside Japan from midnight on February 1, 2009 (Japan time).
- Depending on the local carrier, Voice Call/communication fees may be charged even if a call does not reach the recipient.
- Communication fee incurred while using Global Roaming Service will be added to your regular SoftBank bill. If the fees exceed an amount predetermined by SoftBank, a separate bill may be sent prior to the end of the billing month.
- Since this Global Roaming Service is provided in cooperation with various local carriers, Voice Call and communication fees outside Japan may be billed later than usual or spread over more than one month, even if the service was only used on a single day.
- Phone numbers shown in your Global Roaming Call Details may have a different number of digits than the phone numbers you actually called.
- SoftBank shall not be liable for any damage or loss resulting from inability to use this service due to the fault of third parties such as local carriers. Nor will SoftBank accept any liability relating to services provided by a local carrier in an overseas roaming area.
- You may experience no/poor reception indoors or in areas such as mountainous regions even within the service area. Some services may be unusable depending on the local carrier.
- You may not be able to connect to emergency telephone numbers while overseas depending on the network conditions and handset settings.
- Please read and accept the Global Roaming Service related part of 3G Communication Service Terms and Conditions (abstract), and Web Usage Agreement before using the Global Roaming Service. Any action that violates these stipulations may result in your contract being terminated.
- When aboard an aircraft, please be sure to switch off your handset. When handset use is allowed in an aircraft, use properly following instructions from aircraft company.
- Please treat your handset with care. If dropped, subjected to impact, or exposed to water, it may break or become damaged.
- If your handset is broken or damaged while overseas, SoftBank shall not be liable for providing repairs at the overseas location. Please bring your handset to a SoftBank Customer Support for repairs after returning to Japan.
- Other carriers' USIM cards cannot be used with SoftBank 3G handsets. SoftBank is not responsible for incompatibility of USIM cards with handsets other than these models.
- When Address Book data recorded on a USIM card is edited using a Global Roaming compatible handset, attempting to use the same card afterwards with a SoftBank 3G handset may result in unreadable data.
- Depending on the local carrier overseas, 3G (W-CDMA) networking service may be available even if only GSM networks are officially compatible with this service. Voice call fees and communication rates specified by each communication carrier will incur fees depending service used.